|Mike Devine, left, of S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co. was honored with the 2012 Multifamily Lifetime Achievement Award at Tidewater Builders Association's Associates’ Showcase, Awards Banquet and RAM Graduation on July 19 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. With Devine is TBA President Sam Cohen.
The area’s multifamily housing industry was riding the tide of success at the industry’s Associates’ Showcase, Awards Banquet and RAM Graduation on July 19 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. More than 600 members and guests of Tidewater Builders Association’s Tidewater Multifamily Housing Council celebrated their colleagues’ achievements at the event, now in its 28th year. Merit Awards also were presented to individuals for outstanding performance, and Awards of Excellence were presented to outstanding properties in South Hampton Roads, competing in categories based on when they were completed.
Nine individuals were awarded at the banquet for their efforts in the multifamily housing industry this past year. They include:
Mike Devine of S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co. was honored with the 2012 Multifamily Lifetime Achievement Award. In a letter nominating him, it was noted, “his contributions to our company’s sustained growth and success, as well as that of the industry’s, are immeasurable.” Devine has been in the multifamily industry since 1982. He supervises five regional property managers who oversee 42 different properties, while managing three properties himself. He also is a certified property manager and a real estate broker.
The other Merit Award recipients were:
- Multifamily Executive of the Year
Aaron Wyatt, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Gordon A. Poole Regional Property Manager of the Year Award
Debbie Gordon, The Breeden Co.
- Peggy B. Cowan Property Manager of the Year Award
Toni Van Dyke, The Lawson Cos.
- The Apartment Book’s Leasing Consultant of the Year
Kayla King, Ripley Heatwole Co.
- Maintenance Supervisor of the Year Award
Jeff Johnson, The Lawson Cos.
- Rebecca Hughes/Sam Shetsul Maintenance Employee of the Year Award
Amos McCleese, Kotarides Property Management LLC
- Associate of the Year
John Casone, Ferguson Enterprises Inc.
- Above and Beyond Award
Chrissie Arocho, Signature Management Corp.
Kathy Scott also was awarded the Chairwoman’s Plaque for her efforts in leading the TMHC Council for 2012.
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
In addition to Merit Awards, the winners of the 2012 Awards of Excellence were also announced. This year, 71 communities were vying for the honors. The winners were:
- Communities completed between 1940 and 1959
Sterling Oaks, Frye Properties
- Communities completed between 1960 and 1969
University Gardens & Terrace and Park Towne, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1970 and 1979
Windsor Lake, Clark Whitehill Enterprises Inc.
- Communities completed between 1980 and 1989
Royal Pointe, Clark Whitehill Enterprises Inc.
- Communities completed between 1990 and 1999
Taylor Pointe, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 2000 and 2006
Whispering Oaks, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed as of 2007 and later
Redmill Landing, The Breeden Co.
The banquet also honored the 49 graduates of TMHC’s Registered in Apartment Management, RAM, program. The graduates completed a 40-hour basic RAM training program in on-site management, the first step to acquiring the RAM designation, a Department of Housing and Urban Development approved certification program.
The graduates include:
- BMR Investments: Kelly Hale
- The Breeden Co.: Javier Avery, Karen Carr, Mark Denny, Darrell Gilbert and Shelly Majette-Carrington, Mary Wray
- Clark Whitehill Enterprises: Elise Hosselkus, Ray Lawson and Suzie Reyes
- Harbor Tower: Stacey Scott
- Kotarides Property Management LLC: Katy Boone, Maxine Brown, Lee Harlow, Kenneth Mahan, Amos McCleese, Lauren Schneider, Lauren Sheppard, Pat Skinner, Carlos Wilson
- The Lawson Cos.: Mike Feehery, Carole Foutz, Kristina Garza, Sean Harris, Brian Jernigan, Lotoya Puckerin, Jeff Taylor, LaTrina Reid and Romain Williams.
- Ripley Heatwole Co. Inc./RH Builders Inc.: Aynsley Bennett, Donna Kannel, Donald Richmond, and Casey Smith
- S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.: Bill Brininger, Pam Creech, Margaret Dickie, Leslie Francisco, Alethia Scales and Juaquita Steward, Maurita Alvardo, Cheryl Cohen, Susie Hammack, Antone Nixon,
- Signature Management: Lenora Vincent
- W.H.H. Trice: Theresa Anderson, Colleen Haley
- Individual: Shirley Fisher, Tashaea Skinner and Tierra Walker