S.L. Nusbaum’s communities shined as bright as the disco ball adorning the ceiling at the industry’s prestigious Associates’ Showcase, Awards Banquet and RAM Graduation held July 21 at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. More than 600 members and guests of Tidewater Builders Association’s Tidewater Multifamily Housing Council got their groove on while celebrating their colleagues achievements at the event, now in its 27th year. Merit Awards were presented to individuals for outstanding performance, and Awards of Excellence were presented to outstanding properties in South Hampton Roads, competing in categories based on when they were completed.
Seven individuals were awarded at the banquet for their efforts in the multifamily housing industry this past year. They include:
Margaret R. Flibotte of Frye Properties was honored with the 2011 Multifamily Lifetime Achievement Award. In a letter nominating her, company owner Bart Frye wrote: “Believing success comes from knowledge and team efforts, Margaret encourages recurrent education and training for our staff . . . I am proud to include her among my management team.”
Also honored for his leadership skills was Tim Faulkner of The Breeden Co., who was named the Multifamily Executive of the Year. Faulkner is “a doer who is highly skilled in visualizing and executing a plan and doing what it takes to deliver results. He values and rewards creative thinking, and his management style is hands-on and decisive, yet flexible.”
The other Merit Award recipients were:
- Gordon A. Poole Regional Property Manager of the Year Award
Lee Davis, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Peggy B. Cowan Property Manager of the Year Award
Charlene Adkins, Clark Whitehill Enterprises
- The Apartment Book’s Leasing Consultant of the Year
Jamie Sigmon, Lawson Realty Corp.
- Maintenance Supervisor of the Year Award
Anthony Johnson, Lawson Realty Corp.
- Rebecca Hughes/Sam Shetsul Maintenance Employee of the Year Award
Reginald Pritchett, Lawson Realty Corp.
- Above and Beyond Award
Rick Zimmer, Lawson Realty Corp.
Mike Devine also was awarded the Chairman’s Plaque for his efforts in leading the TMHC Council for 2011.
AWARDS OF EXCELLENCE
In addition to Merit Awards, the winners of the 2011 Awards of Excellence were also announced. With 88 communities vying for recognition. The winners are:
- Adult & Senior Housing communities completed before 1995
John Knox Towers, Lawson Realty Corp.
- Adult & Senior Housing communities completed 1995 and after
Orchards At Belleville Harbour, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Renaissance Award for communities completed 1960 and before
Sterling Oaks, Frye Properties
- Renaissance award is for communities completed between 1961 and 1965
Lakeville Town Homes, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Renaissance award for communities completed between 1966 and 1970
Colonial Arms, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Renaissance award for communities completed between 1971 and 1975
Wellington At Western Branch, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Subsidized communities
Park Terrace, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1976 and 1980
South Lake, Clark Whitehill Enterprises
- Communities completed between 1981 and 1985
Ghent Village, Lawson Realty Corp.
- Communities completed between 1986 and 1990
Mission College, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1991 and 1995
Woodbridge, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 1996 and 2000
Tallwood, Ripley Heatwole Co.
- Communities completed between 2001 and 2005
Belleville Harbour, S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.
- Communities completed between 2006 and after
Belmont At Providence, Kotarides Builders
The banquet also honored the 43 graduates of TMHC’s Registered in Apartment Management, RAM, program. The graduates completed a 40-hour basic RAM training program in on-site management, the first step to acquiring the RAM designation, a Department of Housing and Urban Development approved certification program.
The graduates include:
- BMR Investments: Alicia Baez
- Clark Whitehill: Niki Ellis, Megan Martz
- Kotarides: Charleen Herriott, Teresa Holmes, Marlene Smith, Barbara Taylor
- Lawson Realty: Syreeta Allen, Stephanie Cheeseboro, Kenny Hamlin, Reese Heable, Shenava Henton, Nancy Humphrey, Leisa Langford, Demetria Lynch, Lauren McGowen, Timothy McKinney, Rachel Vega, Ginger Williamson
- Ripley Heatwole: Angela Myers
- Runnymeade: Erica Bonilla
- S.L. Nusbaum: Larry Ayers, Dawn Bachmann, Will Brooks, Shirronda Cobb-White, Carlton Daniels, Betty Joe Harris, Zachary Hill, Ken Lambert, Seneca Lynn, James Reynolds, Hope Sliker, Ebony Woods
- Signature Management: Jennifer Hewett
- The Breeden Co.: Jessica Crawford, Earl Jelke
- United Property: Christian Harris, Kenya Schwartz, Vickie Uzunic
- W.H.H. Trice: Beverly Best
- Windsong Apartments: Chris Schichman
- Samaritan House: Carol Heischober
- Cavalier Estates: Paul Thompson
- Miars Farm Apartments: Bridget Tymul